Saturday, November 12, 2005

Memories

I find myself thinking of people and places long gone. Perhaps the holidays bring this out in all of us. This excerpt from the November 1992 issue of Victoria Magazine seems appropriate.

One of my favorite plays is Thornton Wilder's "Our Town." In it,
you may recall, life in a small town unfolds before our eyes. The
first time I saw this drama I was especially moved by the scene in
which a young woman who has died unexpectedly "returns home" and,
looking about her, realizes all the things she had so taken for
granted. I vowed then to live each day to the fullest, to always
cherish smiles and kindly gestures.

Of course, we all go back on such promises in the bustle of daily
life. But Thanksgiving is the time to renew these good intentions,
particularly those we hold for our families and friends who mean so
much.

When I journey back to the home in my heart, I always do so with
poetic license. It is not that things were really better then, it
is that I have chosen to remember them that way. During those
moments, I fervently hope that my resolve to savor a smile and the
ordinary peace of an ordinary day will last.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home